10.19.2011

Switchin' it up and slowin' down

i run a lot. it's my thang. that is no secret.

but when i run i'm usually in my head. yes, the surrounding environment is there, but my mind isn't focused on it.

the other day i decided to rest my legs and do something different: i went on a walk.

i walked up and down the streets in my neighborhood -- a chi town neighborhood i've lived in for nearly 5 years now -- and for the first time, i SAW my neighborhood.

that may sound weird, but i encourage you to try it. slow down. look at everything. pay attention to the little things. ask questions. be curious.

when i got home -- TWO HOURS LATER!!! -- i was giddy from all of the cool shit i learned lurked just beyond my door.

2 comments:

  1. And you didn't get arrested as a potential terrorist? Amazing! It's dangerous to appear too alert these days. (But I do it all the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, i did get some odd looks from folks. but i was minding my own business. and didn't feel bad about it.

    ReplyDelete