3.13.2010

Guilty pleasures

though i find religion to be a totally unnecessary and alienating allegiance to delusion, i must say that i find much of the art it inspires to be simply beautiful.

i struggle with that.

but my final consolation tends to be that i also find beauty in the make-believe sci-fi worlds of star wars. similarly, my admiration for religious art is mostly harmless -- one that i have learned to separate from the rest of its infectious reality.

having lived in china for some time, i became quite enamored with buddhist sculpture. i brought back several pieces and they adorn my home. when guests see them, they are confused. are you a buddhist? i thought you despised religion? these are common questions.

when i look at these sculptures i don't see buddhism. i see exercises in symmetry, peace, contemplation.

these pieces calm me.
i think the last one here is my fav, mostly 'cuz there's a little hole in the hand where i can stick stuff depending on my mood.

wait, that didn't sound quite how i wanted it to. oh well. it's still true.

i guess those who dislike my position on religion would use my appreciation of religious art and my affection for its images to argue that religion is necessary.

nope. still not necessary. i like this stuff, yeah, 'cuz it's cool to look at and all, but surely it would (and does) still exist outside the walls of its institution.

i guess the common theme is: imagination will always inspire beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment